Come work with us
Short-term mission trips are a small, but important, part of our larger ministry strategy in the Amazon. As a result of looking at Scripture, following the guidance of our Brazilian leadership, and studying other mission strategies, we've designed our short-term trips to be maximally effective in the establishment of long-term disciples who will multiply themselves long after we leave.
Trips that come directly through AmazonVida have the following characteristics:
- Prioritize Ministry Effectiveness: As a matter of principal, our primary goal is to make disciples deeply rooted in the Gospel. Though we believe we can accomplish that while also ensuring safety and a good experience for the trip participants, all decisions are made with the understanding that ministry effectiveness is the uncontested number one priority. In other words, if we ranked our goals for a trip it would look something like this: 1. Ministry effectiveness, 2. Safety, 3. Impact on the participant.
- Relational Discipleship: We believe that stronger disciples are made when our team breaks down into small discipleship groups of 2 people. Those small groups focus on building personal relationships with the people we are serving while helping new believers take the first few steps of the discipleship process. This requires a high translator ratio of 1 translator for every 2 non-Portuguese speakers.
- One Village Approach: For similar reasons as above, each of our teams will stay in one village for the full 5 days of ministry. This allows us to teach new Christians how to study the Scriptures for themselves, share their faith with their friends and family, and fellowship with other new believers in a local church. The responsibility for long-term discipleship and church planting is then passed off to local leaders that we are training/equipping through our Leadership Institute.
- Strong Team Training: We believe that we are all more effective in ministry when we proactively grow our knowledge of Scripture, cross-cultural communication, and discipleship/ministry methodology. Thus, our pre-trip training will include required meetings and required reading. Regardless of your experience level, we hope that you’re willing to learn and grow along with us, so that we are prepared to be as effective as possible. We want our teams to prepare well, both in their spiritual lives and ministry skills. This allows the trip’s focus to be on the long-term impact in the Amazon for God’s kingdom.
- Lowest Possible Cost: AmazonVida does not make money off of the trip cost. Your trip cost goes directly to the operating costs of the trip and follow up expenses for the Brazilian staff. We believe that this allows the trip participant the opportunity to focus more on trip preparation because the lower cost requires less fundraising. Furthermore, if you over-raise or feel so led, you can contribute more money to the follow-up costs of AV ministering in the villages year around.
We would love for you to consider applying for one of the trips below! We have a number of trips that come directly through us. We also receive some trips in partnership with Amazon Outreach. If you are interested in leading a new trip, please contact Michael Shell at firstname.lastname@example.org.